December 7, 2023
It’s easy… right? You just need to find the right people with the right skills, put them in a room together, and you have a well-oiled team. They’re smart, and they know their stuff: they’ll figure out how to get the work done…except it doesn’t always work out that way. We provide a foundation for team building that lasts beyond your TeamBonding event; however, you’ll have the most success after your event by incorporating team bonding activities into your company culture throughout the year. And if the budget is tight, that doesn’t mean you can’t do anything at all. Here are 6 DIY team building activities guaranteed to help your team build those lasting connections!
Team bonding activities are a great way to build relationships that will improve your team’s performance. These activities help members of your team create bonds that are as authentic as they are deep – you will truly have teamwork at work.
DIY Team Building Activities
1. Office Icebreaker Games
Office Icebreaker games are an excellent way to find people who have similar interests as you. Employees want an intrinsic connection to their work and their company. Icebreakers are simple DIY team building activities that have been around forever, and really work.
To deepen the connection among team members, consider icebreaker activities that highlight shared hobbies or interests. Whether it is a quick round of “Two Truths and a Lie” or a themed trivia game related to common passions, these personalized icebreakers create memorable bonding experiences.
2. Games Beyond Icebreakers
You can find a lot of free or low budget DIY team building games online that can help bring your team together for some fun. Here are some of our favorites:
- Self-Run High Tech Scavenger Hunt: Transform your workplace into an adventure zone with a high tech scavenger hunt that leads teams through challenges, fostering collaboration and problem-solving.
- Pipeline Challenge: Challenge your team to put together a runway of pipe pieces to roll a ball through from start to finish. In order to build a successful pipeline your team will need to practice communication, creativity, and teamwork.
- Blocked Perspective: Improve communication and allows the practice of healthy conflict resolution by group discovery of the value of differing perspectives. Participants in group sizes of six to thirty are challenged to accurately recreate block structures in this communication game for team building.
3. Volunteering As A Team
Corporate social responsibility has shown to have long lasting benefits for both the company and the employees. Run for charity. Golf. Build Homes. Collect food. Volunteering as a team is easy to do, and extremely rewarding. The camaraderie that teams develop when they volunteer together is sustainable and robust. Kick off your annual plans for volunteering with a charitable TeamBonding event. Corporate social responsibility has shown to have long lasting benefits for both the company and the employees.
4. We Are Family
Host team bonding activities for employees’ families at work to help employee families develop friendships outside of work and cement team bonding in the workplace.
- Invite them to volunteer with your team.
- Host a team dinner and invite everyone’s family
- Host potluck tailgate parties in the parking lot before football games.
- Put up a big screen in the parking lot to show family movies in the summer.
5. Office Gamification
Companies like Google, Zappos, and Nike know how to motivate their employees. Their secret for high employee engagement is focusing on improving what Officevibe refers to as the big five: Wellness, Productivity, Social, Environment, and Generosity. Having a strong balance of the five facets of company culture leads to happier employees and a great environment.
Office gamification enables your team – whether remote or all working under the same roof – to bond on their own down time. By encouraging employees to have fun, businesses can increase learning retention, employee engagement, and performance at higher levels.
6. There’s Always More DIY Team Building
The good news? There are plenty of DIY team building activities to go around. We also have a free eBook that help you get the most benefit and better results out of your team building event, plus some free office icebreakers. Elevate your teams team’s dynamics and productivity with these innovative approaches, or contact TeamBonding to work with an event professional to schedule your event today.