Shola Kaye MSc is a communication specialist, award-winning speaker and author. She spent the first part of her career in IT consultancy in the U.S.A., consulting at household name investment banks and in the U.K for global clients in aviation and finance. Her struggles to communicate and gain visibility in the workplace – as a black woman and an introvert – led her to develop an interest in learning to create inclusive workplaces with open, supportive communication. Shola went on to become a professional performer, appearing on stages around the world.
Shola has a unique interactive delivery that combines the energy and engagement of a performer with the insights and actionable communication systems of a scientist or technical expert. Today she blends her STEM and entertainment background to share clear, effective communication frameworks that help people work better together. These are delivered in a high impact, engaging style.
Her keynote and masterclass topics include communication for diversity and inclusion, workplace communication – in particular for technical teams – and workplace empathy. She also speaks about how to create a more inclusive environment for introverts, especially within the technical/data/STEM work space.
Shola has been featured in Marie Claire, Harper’s Bazaar and on the BBC and is often called upon to chair and facilitate conferences and events. Her work has been mentioned in Forbes. In her role as communication consultant, Shola hosts a popular podcast, and has created a top 10 rated weekly video blog. Shola’s first book was an Amazon.com number one bestseller and her second book will be released soon.
SPEAKING | KEYNOTES [Virtual Keynotes and In-Person Keynotes available]:
SAY IT with Empathy – Harness the power of EMPATHY to boost inclusion, well-being and engagement
How can you build supportive, cohesive environments within your organisation?
In the light of current events – racial tension and the prevalence of remote working – emotional intelligence, and the ability to create a workplace where everyone feels they belong, are more important than ever.
This talk will provide you with practical and effective strategies to inspire a sense of equity and inclusion.
• Understand the 3 different types of empathy and their impact upon your well-being
• Find out how empathy impacts diversity, inclusion, engagement, innovation and happiness
• Learn the 5 types of bad listeners and which category you might fall into
• Discover 3 ways to become a better listener.
• Walk away with a simple 3 step framework so you can be empathetic in every situation.
• Discover 3 ways to create a sense of belonging among diverse and remote teams
• Construct your own 30 day plan to create a more empathetic workplace
Optional supporting materials such as worksheets and video reminders are also available. Can also be run as a half-day workshop, virtual or in-person.
You’ll walk away with the tools and the inspiration to become a better leader, manager or front-line employee.
Virtual session? We’ll use chat and other forms of interactivity to encourage engagement. Delivered in person? The programme involves demonstrations and encourages everyone to create their own 30 day action plan as a follow up.
SAY IT on the S.P.O.T. – Get heard in meetings and earn respect with communication that’s Specific, Powerful, Organized and Timely
How do you get the attention you deserve and become a clear, confident communicator in meetings and high stakes conversations?
Women, quieter individuals and other groups frequently complain about being spoken over during meetings. When their ideas aren’t being heard, what is that costing your organisation in terms of collaboration, inclusivity and innovation? This speech provides frameworks to help those voices cut through and get noticed.
• Walk away with powerful communication tools and frameworks you can use immediately
• Learn how to tell stories that pack a punch – in as little as 30 seconds
• Discover how to express any idea with clarity and impact
• Share your ideas in the right way and stop colleagues interrupting you in meetings
• How to collaborate with others to ensure you’re seen, heard and valued
• Why the storytelling patterns you learned as a child might be losing you respect and how to get it back
Can be run virtually using Zoom breakout rooms for interaction.
SAY IT with Gravitas – Be at your best in the boardroom and pitch like a pro with these essential personal impact skills
The way we move and carry ourselves. The intonation in our voices. The rate at which we speak and our articulation. These factors may seem unimportant, but when combined they are powerful influencers, letting our listeners know whether we should be taken seriously or disregarded. In this talk you’ll discover easy to implement but vital insights that will give you the edge when persuading others and communicating in high stakes situations.
Perfect for technical and STEM teams preparing for promotion, managers and mid-level employees about to step into business development, senior management and other high profile roles.
• Your personal communication style and how this can both help and hinder you at work
• 3 strategies to increase your gravitas and talk to anyone with ease, from junior to senior
• Performer’s secrets that will help you persuade and influence with ease
• How to read others and up-level your interactions both virtually and in-person
30 – 90 minute programme. Suitable for in-person and virtual delivery. Can be used with Zoom breakout sessions.
SAY IT On Camera: Prepare for video conferencing and creating digital content that’s energetic, engaging and credible
Perhaps you’ve been speaking on camera regularly? Or maybe not enough? Wherever you are, now it’s time to take it to the next level with this practical programme full of useful insights.
• Enhance your preparation: kit, lighting, room setup, camera positioning, testing
• Your content: how to know what to say, creating your presentation/script, using prompts, structuring your session for video
• Keeping it engaging: how to avoid audience boredom, content formats, switching between media, polls chat & interaction
• Building a connection: knowing your audience and what they need, adapting your presentation style
• Being yourself on camera: dealing with fear and negative thoughts, your on-screen persona
1-2 hour interactive programme. Can include breakout room discussions. Great for groups who traditionally aren’t on camera and need support, encouragement and hacks to help them build confidence with the medium. Delivered virtually.
Empathy, Bias, Diversity & Inclusion
How do we help our colleagues and customers trust us, talk to us and walk taller, with greater confidence? Empathy is the answer. Learn to use the skill of empathy to create an environment where everyone feels heard. Use empathy to help you understand and grapple with bias in the workplace. Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.
• Walk away feeling moved, energised and inspired by this keynote talk, suitable for company-wide and global events, DEI events and leadership conferences
• Discover the three key skills, all beginning with C (curiosity, courage and being a catalyst) that can help you become more empathetic
• Understand the vital importance of empathy and emotional intelligence in today’s workplace
• Look at some of the common biases we experience at work and explore how to overcome them
• Hear personal stories from the speaker that reveal the impact of an empathy deficit in the workplace
• Discover ideas to limit bias and promote diversity and inclusion in your recruitment, hiring, development and promotion practices
• Decide on your personal priority and commit to taking action to become more empathetic
Empathy for Leaders
Boost employee engagement, loyalty, belonging and productivity. Equip your leaders for the many challenges of today’s workplace, taking their people management skills to the next level. Listen to stories and examples that promote listening and empathy skills among your leaders and managers.
• Walk away feeling revitalised, energised and equipped to manage change
• Discover a vital framework to help you empathise with your team and customers
• Learn how to prioritise during challenging times using the FEEEL framework
• Discover the importance of self-awareness and self-care to avoid emotional burnout
• What’s the link between compassion and taking action? What are some of the different ways you can support those around you?
• How can you be more empathetic when your team is remote? Walk away with practical advice to increase empathy during these times of working from home
Shola conducted a wonderful and engaging Webinar session on communication in Diverse Teams for UNFPA! Her method of using the chatbox on Zoom to make sure everyone was engaged was super helpful for those who were not comfortable speaking up with the large group of people she was presenting to. Shola was very well-spoken and kind and I would highly recommend her work to any organization looking to improve communication skills between colleagues and teams.